University Research Company
Employment Opportunity: URC
Position Vacancy Announcement
Position ID: FY2015.7003.5
Position: MDR-TB and Infection Control Advisor
Location: South Africa / Pretoria
Salary: Commensurate with required experience and qualifications
University Research Co., LLC (URC)
URC is a global company that works to improve the quality of healthcare, education and social services. Established in 1965, our work spans over 30 countries around the globe. Our mission is to provide innovative, evidence-based solutions to health and social challenges by expanding access to high-quality maternal, newborn and child health services, preventing and reducing infectious diseases including HIV/AIDS, TB and malaria; and improving family planning and reproductive health education.
The USAID TB CARE II South Africa Project, implemented by URC, is building on the activities and approaches utilized by the USAID TB CARE 11 Project South Africa which has supported the National Department of Health (NDOH) since 2009 in improving early case detection, increasing access to diagnostics and ensuring timely provision of appropriate TB treatment for patients with drug-sensitive and drug-resistant TB, HIV care for TB patients and ART treatment for all TB/HIV co-infected patients, in line with the 2012 – 2016 National Strategic Plan for HIV, STI and TB. The project has supported the NDOH to address the challenge of multidrug-resistant TB (MDR TB) in South Africa through expanding access to diagnostics, improving programmatic management of MDR TB at the community level, reducing nosocomial transmission of TB, and increasing provider capacity at all levels to implement and monitor the MDR TB interventions.
URC is seeking a suitable candidate for MDR-TB Advisor to work within the USAID TB CARE II South Africa Project team to provide technical support and guidance on MDR-TB management and TB infection control implementation, working closely with the national, provincial and district departments of health and with project-funded community non-governmental organisations (NGOs).
The position will be based in Pretoria. The specific responsibilities include:
- Support the implementation of country-wide scale up of community and facility-based MDR TB treatment programs
- Develop with NTP and other implementing partners strategies for improving the quality of MDR TB services as well as enhancing treatment outcomes
- Strengthen clinical knowledge and experience in the management of MDR-TB
- Assist the National TB Control Programme in implementing strategies to prevent MDR TB
- Initiate and provide technical support and training to district-based management teams and service providers to implement and monitor community-based MDR TB treatment programs
- Build capacity of project staff, Department of Health (DOH) counterparts and collaborating NGOs in the implementation of interventions to prevent, diagnose and treat MDR TB.
- Work with the National Department of Health to assist in the implementation of MDR TB monitoring and evaluation tools
- Work with NGOs to implement innovative treatment support and monitoring tools through mHealth technologies
- Support MDR TB treatment sites to maintain proper infection control and good clinical governance
- Assist to design/ implement targeted operations research to assess and improve implementation of MDR TB programs
Required Experience & Qualifications
- Medical degree
- Registration with Health Professions Council of South Africa
- Significant experience in MDR-TB management and TB infection control
- Strong writing and presentation skills
- Demonstrated computer skills in Microsoft Office Suite applications.
- Experience in providing training an advantage
- Willingness to travel within South Africa.
- Valid driver’s license
For further information on the advertised position, please contact Dr S Mndaweni or Ms. T Morake at 012 4849300
To apply, please e-mail a résumé and covering letter, for the attention of Ms T Morake, to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.
Closing date for applications: 30 October 2015
Note: Correspondence will only be conducted with the short-listed candidates. Should you not have heard from us within a month of the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.
URC is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We value and seek diversity in our workforce.