Oxfam South Africa
Title: Head of Public Engagement
Department: Public Engagement
Location: Johannesburg, South Africa
Remuneration: Competitive, commensurate with experience
Start Date: As soon as possible
Immediate Supervisor: Executive Director
Application Deadline: October 19th, 2015
Oxfam South Africa is a new, independent organisation in South Africa to become an affiliate of the Oxfam International Confederation. Oxfam International, one of the leading global development organisations, is a diverse confederation of autonomous but strongly interconnected national affiliates working in over 90 countries, either directly, or with partners to enable transformational change, using a unique combination of long-term development, campaigning and humanitarian programmes.
Building on Oxfam’s 57 years of advancing social justice in South Africa, OZA consolidates and deepens Oxfam’s legacy and through its own, new, strategic plan, takes Oxfam’s work to new heights. OZA has built a visionary programmatic proposition, which will gear it to be a key and influential member of the social justice movement in South Africa and the wider continent, advancing the agenda of a just world without poverty. It aims to grow to a medium-sized, viable organisation in the next years, working efficiently for high impact, low cost, innovative interventions, anchored by a strong and consistent network of supporters. OZA works in collaboration with other Oxfam affiliates to increase impact and influence from the local to the global and vice versa.
SCOPE OF POSITION
OZA attaches great importance to the impact of its work, building a strong public identity and public engagement approaches which effectively mobilize the power of people for its vision. The Head of Public Engagement provides strategic leadership and effective direction to OZA’s work including strategic communications, fundraising, marketing, outreach and advocacy. The position will drive performance in support of fundraising goals and active citizenship, creating a seamless journey for our supporters and engaging them more deeply in support of our mission. The Public Engagement department works with the whole organization to ensure OZA offers stakeholders, including allies, donors, volunteers and campaigners, a range of avenues and opportunities to contribute to Oxfam’s impact and influence. As a member of the senior Management Team, the position contributes to the overall leadership and management of the organisation and to relevant Confederation-wide processes and forums.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
- Strategic leadership and effective direction of OZA’s public engagement including communications, outreach, fundraising, campaigns and advocacy.
- Drive performance in support of fundraising goals and active citizenship, creating a seamless journey for our supporters and engaging them more deeply in support of our mission.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
1. Strategic Leadership
- Design, create, lead and manage implementation of a focused strategy to engage the South African public in the work of OZA through making a donation, volunteering and/or campaigning
- Provide strong leadership to the Department, ensuring all activities are aligned and mutually reinforcing in support of our strategic objectives.
- Evaluate trends in the fundraising market and accordingly design & mix activities, products and related campaigns & events
- Supports the delivery of the Oxfam South Africa strategy, ensuring a positive and consistent message to all target audiences and stakeholders including government, media, NGO sector, donors, supporters, volunteers, staff and the wider public. This encompasses fundraising, internal and external communications, brand consistency, identity and positioning.
- Provide strategic leadership to the organization as a member of the senior leadership team of a growing organization.
- Develop short-term goals in line with the overall long-term fundraising and marketing strategy.
- Position Oxfam in relevant external forums, including with donors, corporates, and industry associations.
- Engage and work with the Fundraising Committee of the OZA Board of Directors to implement their directional inputs.
2. Fundraising and Financial Management
- Ensure delivery against fundraising targets and program objectives
- Ensure Oxfam South Africa’s case for support is compelling and articulated in all communications to prospective and existing supporters
- Ensure performance and accountability for revenues and expenditures, including recommending revenue targets and investment priorities for public fundraising, developing plans to deliver on approved targets for both unrestricted and restricted revenue
- Driving performance to maximize results
- Ensuring meaningful and timely reporting, evaluation and control
- Serve as a member of the senior Management Team, contributing to Oxfam South Africa’s impact, influence and effectiveness and helping strengthen its sustainability and resilience, including:
- Managing resources and controlling costs to maximize results
- Complying with all relevant legislation, organizational policies and contractual obligations
- Effective performance of Department staff
- Effective participation in Management Team
3. Communications and Brand Management
- Take responsibility for the development and implementation of a fully integrated communications and marketing strategy.
- Lead on developing and strengthening the impact of Oxfam South Africa brand.
- Provide strategic communications advice to the Executive Director and programme teams
- Actively participate in and contribute to Oxfam forums and ensure that fundraising, brand and communication strategies are aligned to Oxfam’s identity and global strategies.
- Manage Oxfam South Africa’s reputation through the development of a proactive, strategic program of issue-driven media and other communication activities.
- Plan, and manage the departments’ annual program of activities to achieve all targets, with particular emphasis on income targets.
- Develop and monitor policies and procedures for communications, fundraising and marketing in line with South African law and Oxfam’s global policies and procedures.
- Ensure strong financial management and accountability throughout the department.
- Develop and implement effective systems and processes for fundraising and donor relations.
- Overall responsibility for strategic management of donor relationships, including ensuring the organisation’s CRM systems are updated and compliant at all times.
- Manage the Oxfam brand with the aim of enhancing brand value this is usually for products in South Africa through innovative marketing techniques.
- Overall responsibility of capacity building of all Fundraising staff and their motivation and employee satisfaction.
- Approves priorities, plans and budgets for submission to the Management Team and Executive Director
- Approves expenditures within the program budget for an amount to be agreed per organizational financial delegations policy
- Build team capabilities and understanding of Oxfam South Africa values.
- Overall responsibility for developing & achieving of annual marketing budget. Plan and manage the departmental budget and expenditure in line with Oxfam South Africa’s policies on financial management, sustainability and best value to ensure maximum return on investment.
- Coordinate with other departments for effective implementation of donor commitments and timely reporting.
- Develop mechanisms for effective supporter retention.
- Act at all times in the best interests of Oxfam while continually promoting the vision and mission within all sections of the South African public, as well as the media and at appropriate events.
Required Knowledge, Experience and Competencies:
- Extensive knowledge and a minimum of seven (6) years experience in Public Fundraising and campaigning
- A Master’s degree and working experience in Strategic Communications and/or Marketing.
- At least five (4) years management experience, including strategic planning, risk management, budget development and financial management, and human resource management
- Formal expertise and experience directing Strategic Communications to ensure effective alignment of organizational objectives and results in the areas of fundraising, public engagement, advocacy and campaigning
- In-depth knowledge of the South African fundraising market in all available income streams, in particular Public Fundraising.
- Strong understanding of public engagement strategies and innovations
- Strong numeracy and ability to interpret financial data, budget and to monitor income and expenditure.
- A good understanding of the donor profiling and consumer behaviour in a changing society.
- Understanding of different fundraising channels like key account sales, DRTV, Face 2 Face, Telemarketing, Direct Mail, online, etc.
- Results-driven with demonstrated success in spearheading major fundraising campaigns
- Entrepreneurial flair, initiative, creativity and dynamism
- Demonstrated leadership, motivational and change management skills and experience
- Demonstrated knowledge, understanding and commitment to active citizenship, global justice, social change, women’s rights and gender equality
- Strong understanding of Oxfam’s brand and how this can be leveraged with donors and supporters
- Proven analytical and conceptual thinking skills, with sound judgment
- Demonstrated skills in influencing, relationship-building and team-building
- Fluency and excellent writing in English required
- Ability to speak an indigenous South African language strongly desirable.
- High level of energy, stamina and flexibility in adapting to changing situations
- Flexible approach to working hours – ability and willingness to work evening and weekends when necessary.
HOW TO APPLY
All applications and queries must be addressed to KM Global Consulting and sent directly to email@example.com stating OXFAM-HPE-RSA in the subject line. Please make sure to submit a comprehensive Resume and Letter of Application in application.