Conference Blog Posts
When is Welfare Development
The session on Welfare vs Development took the format of a Participatory Activity called Active listening, where one writes down the points that stand out during project presentations. Thereafter common thoughts are collected and grouped together.
I was particularly struck by the following cards in no particular order.
- Development is when independance is achieved after the welfare is removed.
- Lack of community ownership in development projects is welfare. They do not develop independance.
- NPO's are scared of profits. We need to engage in business ideas.
- Do we understand the structural unemployment in SA? What labour market are we training people for.
- Immediate relief provides a foundation on which to build.
- When planning community mobilisation requires planning of consequences.
- Strategic partnerships are key for an organisation to meet relief and development challenges.
- NGO belief that they should be non-profit making hampers innovation and their own development and community development.
- Education by NGO's versus government education. Are we diverging or moving together.
- How do we move home based care and support groups to more sustainable models.