The Sustainable Rural Growth and Development Initiative (SRGDI), in collaboration with a consortium of non-governmental organisations, the private sector, research and academic institutions, and the Government of Malawi, are partnering with Southern Africa Youth Movement (SYM) and Africa Youth Initiative on Climate Change (AYICC) to host the Southern Africa Youth Conference on Climate Change (SAYCCC). This conference has three thematic areas namely; adaptation, mitigation, and lobbying and advocacy. According to the organisers, the conference is designed to lead to a 3-year climate change programme in Southern Africa that will be implemented through a regional climate change youth network.
Expected outcomes of the conference include the following:
- Participants will form a well coordinated youth climate change network in southern Africa that will unite grassroot and country level movements across Southern Africa
- Participants will draw a three year youth climate change adaptation programme for the youth in Southern African Development Community (SADC) region that will be implemented by members of the network after the conference
- Participants will improve their skills in engaging government and other development partners on climate change policy
- The network will embark on a resource mobilisation exercise to fund climate change adaptation and mitigation programmes in Southern Africa;
- The conference will come up with a statement that will be presented to the SADC and the African Union
- The network will conduct follow up events that will review progress made, plan future events, and provide a venue for sharing ideas and inspiring each other;
- Youth will begin to play a major role in sensitising society, youth in particular, and disseminate information and raise awareness on climate change issues; and
- Create increased awareness of climate change in Malawi.
The conference hopes to harness the energies of young people and children from various countries in Southern Africa and engage them in continuous action and dialogue. Key topics to be presented and discussed during the conference will include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Reduction of Emissions through Deforestation and Degradation (REDD)
- Climate Change Adaptation Policies and Strategies
- Climate Change and Sustainable Development
- Climate Change and Human Settlements
- Global Climate Change Deals and Their Impact on Southern Africa
- Climate Change Lobbying and Advocacy Strategies
- Opportunities for Climate Change Funding in Southern Africa
- Civil Society/Government Partnership in Climate Change
- Community Adaptation Strategies
- Sustainable Development Careers
- Sustainable Lifestyles
The conference is open to young environmentalists, young climate change researchers, youth parliamentarians, national youth networks, students, youth leaders, and young climate change activists. To enquire about registration, please contact the organisers at the contact details below.
Sustainable Rural Growth and Development Initiative (SRGDI)
P.O. Box 40245
Tel: +265 (0) 8 88 749 928 (mobile)
For more information, click here.