RNTC: Educational Programme Production
RNTC is a unique training institute for young and mid career journalists, programme-makers, print and online media professionals as well as media trainers and senior managers. It provides short but life changing courses in Hilversum, the Netherlands, as well as on the spot. RNTC also provides tailor-made training for media organisations. Established in 1968 as a joint initiative of Radio Netherlands Worldwide and the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs, RNTC has gained considerable expertise in the development of media and in the role media can play in society, especially in the developing world and in so called countries in transition.
RNTC is conducting a 12-week course on Educational Programme Production from 17 September - 7 December 2012 in the Netherlands.
For (educational) programme-makers working in broadcast media young people are an important target group. In many countries they make up the majority of the population. The Course Educational Programme Production strengthens the capacity of (educational) programme-makers to design and produce attractive and effective educational programmes and multimedia material by, with and for young people on issues related to youth and development.
The course is for mid-career (educational) programme-makers, with at least three years experience in the field of broadcast programme-making for radio, television and new/online media.
Upon completing the course, the participants will be familiar with:
- Relevant theoretical and practical approaches to targeting young people with educational media (broadcast and multimedia) as well as actively and creatively engaging them in the process;
- How to define and formulate appropriate, realistic and achievable educational objectives for youth target groups;
- A variety of educational formats targeting young people, with special attention to the complementary use of media (radio, television, internet, print) to achieve educational objectives;
- The design and production by, with and for young people of educational broadcast and multimedia content using a variety of media (formats) in a complementary way.
The course will focus on appropriate theoretical and practical approaches to using broadcast and new media to target young people with an educational aim, as well as on ways of involving young people actively and creatively in the process of production, broadcast/publication and evaluation. The course will deepen understanding and encourage the sharing of experience on relevant issues to do with youth and development. Participants will be given individual and team educational programme-making exercises and assignments which will be analysed and evaluated in group feedback sessions. In addition to reinforcing and developing their knowledge and skills in educational programme production by, with and for young people, participants will design and produce cross-medial educational content (broadcast and multimedia) relevant to their working contexts at home.
Applicants must meet the following admissions requirements:
- You are currently working as a professional (educational) programme-maker for broadcast and/or online and have a minimum of three years working experience;
- You have successfully followed secondary education, and professional education or training in media;
- You are used to working with computers and have good computer skills;
- Your speaking and writing skills in English (the course language)are sufficient;
- You submit a letter of motivation in English (150-250 words) explaining why you want to follow the course.
Since English is the working language of the course, proficiency in English is an absolute necessity. Successful candidates will have a level of proficiency in English equivalent to scores of 550 (paper-based) or 213 (computer-based) for TOEFL and six for IELTS. Those whose first language is English or who come from countries in which English is their national language, and/or have completed higher education taught entirely in English will have the required level of proficiency. If you are in doubt about whether you are sufficiently proficient in English contact RNTC at email@example.com.
After submitting a motivation letter, a phone/Skype interview will be conducted with shortlisted applicants to assess the level of understanding of spoken English and discuss expectations for the course.
Fees, costs and fellow
The course fee of €5 500 includes pick-up from the airport, insurance, and travel assignments. Participants must cover their own costs of travel, accommodation and meals. These costs are estimated at €82 per day, or €574 per week.
The application deadline is 6 August 2012.
For more information on registration, refer to http://rntc.nl/Howtoapply.
Enquiries: E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more about RNTC, refer to www.rntc.nl/educationalprogramme.