Management Accounting for Non-Governmental Organisations
The Management Accounting for Non-Governmental Organisations (MANGO) is a United Kingdom-based NGO that helps aid agencies, NGOs and nonprofits to work more effectively.
MANGO is conducting a two-day course on Financial Sustainability Essentials – How to Build a Financing Strategy from 20-21 August 2012 in Pretoria.
The purpose of the course is to build the confidence and skills of NGO managers to improve the financial sustainability of their, or partner, organisations by assessing and managing critical financial risk, and developing a financing strategy and associated policies. This course is aimed at managers of small to medium-sized NGOs and those responsible for strategic financial management, including Board members. It is also suitable for international NGO programme managers who advise local partners on how to plan for financial sustainability.
The final balance of course content will be decided by those attending the course, according to their interests and training needs.
The core components of the course include:
- What makes a financially sustainable NGO and how we measure it;
- Financial risk analysis – tools and techniques;
- What a financing strategy looks like;
- The problem with donor dependency – and some alternative financing options;
- How to finance central support (‘core’) costs;
- How to build and manage reserve funds;
- Managing key stakeholder relationships.
At the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Carry out a financial risk assessment using selected analysis and mapping tools to identity critical threats facing their NGO;
- Analyse an income schedule to identify the current and desired funding mix of their NGO;
- Analyse financial statements using financial ratios to assess the donor dependency and reserves status of their NGO;
- Carry out a resources audit to establish the potential for alternative financing options in their NGO;
- Set out an action plan for managing key stakeholder relationships.
The course fee covers tuition and all course materials. The course fee does not include the cost of overnight accommodation or travel to and from the training venue.
Enquiries: Tel: +44 (0)1865 423818.
For more about the course, refer to http://goo.gl/Q9qNF.
For more about the Management Accounting for Non-Governmental Organisations, refer to www.mango.org.uk.