Community Education Computer Society (CECS)
The Community Education Computer Society (CECS) is an information communication technology (ICT) training NGO established in April 1985 for the technological empowerment of the historically disadvantaged. CECS is also undertaking ICT for development work in Botswana; Lesotho; Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland and Zambia.
CECS is conducting a course on Creating a Project Plan Using Open Workbench on 24 April 2012 in Johannesburg.
The course is aimed at those who want to learn how to use a project management tool such Open Workbench to create and keep track of projects. Participants will be provided with the Open Workbench programme at the end of the course to install on their computers.
Participants are required to bring their own laptops.
The following are the prerequisites for the training:
- You must be computer literate and have a working knowledge of Windows;
- You must be confident with the keyboard and mouse;
- A knowledge of project management concepts will be advantageous.
At the end of the course, you should be able to:
- Create a project;
- Create a Work Breakdown Structure;
- Create and assign resources;
- Finalise the project plan;
- Cost a project;
- Track a project.
- Section 1: Getting Started;
- Section 2: Creating a project;
- Section 3: Creating a Work Breakdown Structure;
- Section 4: Creating and Assigning Resources;
- Section 5: Finalise the Project Plan.
Participants will receive the Open Workbench Software CD which also includes the following free software:
- 7-zip: Is a file archiver with a high compression ratio. Used to zip and unzip files;
- Audacity: Audio editor for recording, slicing, and mixing audio;
- Blender: A 3D content creation suite which is used for animation production;
- Dia: A diagram creation programme; similar to MS Visio;
- FileZilla: Is a FTP client to upload files to your service providers computers such as websites;
- FireFox: A robust and standards compliant web browser;
- FreeMind: Is mind mapping software;
- GIMP: Used for photo retouching, image composition & authoring; similar to Photoshop;
- GraphCalc: 2D/3D graphing calculator;
- Kompozer: Web authoring software; similar to Dreamweaver or Frontpage;
- Maxima: Complete computer algebra system;
- OpenOffice: Office productivity software; similar to MS Office;
- Open Workbench: Project management and project scheduling software; similar to MS Project;
- OrangeHRM: Human resource management software;
- Scribus: Professional layout and publishing software; similar to CorelDraw;
- Thunderbird: E-mail client software; similar to Outlook Express;
- TurboCASH: Accounting software; similar to Pastel;
- Tux Paint: Interactive paint programme; also a bitmap graphics editor;
- VLC: Powerful media player;
- vtiger CRM: Customer relationship management software;
- WampServer: Used to set up a web server.
Time: 9h00 – 15h00
Course Fee: R 750 per participant. This fee includes the course manual, certificate of attendance and the copy of the Open Workbench software.
Mid-morning tea and lunch is also included in the course fee.
Tel: 011 333-0187
Mobile: 073 145 7011
Fax: 086 537 7172
For more about the Community Education Computer Society, refer to www.cecs.org.za.