Stellenbosch Business School (USB)
11 – 15 October 2021
The University of Stellenbosch Business School’s Management Programme for NPOs focuses on promoting social development in South Africa by enhancing managerial effectiveness, service delivery and good governance in the NPO sector. To be sustainable, NPOs must be managed efficiently and have the ability to attract, secure and retain funding.
Date: 11 – 15 October
Cost: R3490 (incl VAT)
When and where?
The NPO Management Programme is presented by the University of Stellenbosch Business School’s Social Impact. The programme starts on Monday, 11 October 2021.
Who can apply for the programme?
The current or aspiring manager of a non-profit organisation (NPO) who has no formal qualifications in management.
Why a management programme for NPOs?
To be sustainable, NPOs must be managed effectively and have the ability to attract, secure and retain funding. They need to apply sound management principles and good governance to enable effective delivery to clients. Studies by the Centre for Civil Society have shown that only 2% of welfare organisations are viable in the longer term. This programme strives to remedy this situation.
The learning outcomes:
Over the course of the programme, participants will be equipped to:
- Make a strategic assessment of the medium-term sustainability of their non-profit organisation and identify high-level challenges and potential opportunities.
- Write a fundraising strategy for the NPO.
- Read and understand financial statements to determine the financial health of the NPO.
- Apply leadership skills and hence better utilise human capital.
- Assess the governance model of the NPO.
How the assessment works:
- Individual written assignment (summative assignment).
- All submissions are completed in the participants own time but according to strict deadlines.
- Matric Certificate or equivalent.
- Appropriate management experience in the NPO environment.
- Basic working knowledge of MS Excel, MS Word, and MS PowerPoint (or other spreadsheet, word-processing and presentation software) is highly recommended.
- Strategic Management and Sustainability
- Financial Management
- Labour Law
- Leadership and Team Dynamics
- Marketing and Fundraising
- Project Management
1 week for the course;
4 weeks thereafter to complete the assignment programme material (completed in course)
On successful completion of the programme, you will receive a certificate from Stellenbosch University.
Attendance of all classroom- based days as well as the passing of the assignment is a requirement.
For more information contact Jeanne Kuhn:
Telephone: 021 918 4288
To download the application form, follow the link below: