Southern Hemisphere Consultants
Designing and Managing Training Workshop Evaluations for Development Projects is a three day course to assist evaluators and those commissioning evaluations to design appropriate and robust evaluations. The course helps evaluation practitioners and managers to conceptualise evaluations, choose appropriate evaluation methodologies, implement an entire evaluation process using a participatory, capacity building approach and use evaluations to facilitate learning.
The three day programme is based on the principles of theory based evaluation and utilised focussed evaluationapproaches, and is aligned to the Standards for evaluation in government (DPME, 2014).
The course focusses on building the technical competencies related to designing evaluations and participants will receive a toolbox of methodologies. Is also focusses on building the process competencies required to get maximum benefit out of the evaluation process. The course is informed by years of experience of conducting evaluations for the South African (and other) Governments, International Donors and NGOs (local and international).
Date: 05 to 07 December 2018
Venue: Cape Town
Cost: R9 700 including VAT (incl. comprehensive course materials, refreshments and lunch, certificate). Special discounts apply for groups of three people or more of 10% early bird registration applies by 20 Oct 2018
- Evaluation design as having both technical and process perspectives
- How to select an appropriate approach for an evaluation, including both qualitative and quantitative approaches such as document/literature review, most significant change, outcome harvesting, contribution analysis and quasi-experimental evaluation designs
- Sampling and data analysis methods
- The use of participatory processes to improve utilisation and learning
The course will also:
- Improve the ability of those commissioning or managing evaluations to better articulate their evaluation requirements and assess the appropriateness of an evaluation proposal in terms of its design and quality of evaluation deliverables/process.
- Improve the ability of evaluators to choose an appropriate design for an evaluation
This course will be run in a workshop-style using adult learning methodologies. Group work is interspersed with input sessions. Workshops provide a space for participants to learn from each other by sharing knowledge and experiences.
Participants should have a good understanding of monitoring and evaluation.
To achieve these outcomes full participation is required. There will be no passive learning. Participants will get opportunities to share their experiences and best practices regarding designing evaluations.
The course is aimed at: monitoring and evaluation managers, young and emerging evaluators, evaluation consultants/practitioners, directors/managers of NGOs, Evaluation Steering Committee members, and those commissioning evaluations.
Participants will have an:
- improved understanding of theory based evaluation and utilisation focussed evaluation and how these can be practically applied
- improved understanding of the different types of evaluations and how this influences the evaluation design e.g. design evaluation, implementation evaluation, summative evaluation, impact evaluation
- ability to develop an appropriate evaluation framework
- improved ability to choose appropriate methods to respond to key evaluation questions
- improved understanding of the “indicators” of a good quality evaluation process (from the development of a Terms of Reference (TOR) through to the utilisation of the evaluation)
To register, contact Pippa on firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information refer to https://reliefweb.int/training/2831984/designing-and-managing-evaluation...