Institute for the Advancement of Journalism (IAJ)
The Institute for the Advancement of Journalism (IAJ) is South Africa’s premier provider of short courses and residency programmes for journalists, communicators and media practitioners.
IAJ is conducting a course on dealing with the media during the month of September.
Your effectiveness as a communicator will depend on whether you understand the media, how it works and what makes for effective copy. This course has been designed to equip you to deal with the challenges faced by media liaisons and communicators when writing for, preparing for and liaising with the media.
This hands-on course will help you leverage useful insight from facilitators who work in the media.
What you will gain from this course:
- What are the priorities for reporters or what makes news
- How are news stories constructed
- Writing effective press releases and media advisories
- Creating an effective press list
- How to respond to media questions, queries and requests
- Effective preparation for interviews
- Press conferences and media briefings
- Opinion pieces and letters to the editor
- Using social media as a tool
For more about the Institute for the Advancement of Journalism, refer to www.iaj.org.za