Wageningen Centre for Development Innovation
Wageningen Centre for Development Innovation focuses on the global challenges of secure & healthy food, sustainable markets, adaptive agriculture, ecosystem governance and conflict, disaster & reconstruction. The Centre links cutting-edge processes of innovation and learning with Wageningen University & Research's world-leading scientific and technical expertise.
Loss of genetic resources has resulted in major concerns about future food and nutrition security. The vulnerability of agricultural systems towards pests, diseases and climate change makes the topic urgent, and has led to the development of a range of conservation strategies. Community Biodiversity Management (CBM) distinguishes itself from other conservation strategies by enhancing social interdependence, collaboration, adaptability and autonomy.
The training is designed for public, civil, research, education and/or development professionals working in a range of relevant programmes. Applicants should have at least a BSc degree, have three years of professional experience in a relevant field, and be proficient in English.
Dates: 23 October - 10 November 2017
Price: 3,900 Euro
Upon completion of the course you will:
- Be familiar with contemporary approaches towards crop genetic resources management and conservation strategies
- Know the conceptual framework of CBM, its components and practices
- Understand integrated seed systems with special importance of farmer and community based seed system
- Know how to manage PGRFA in dynamic landscapes, unpredictable environments, climate hotspots and vulnerabilities
- Know how to empower communities and enhance their resilience
- Understand participatory learning and action research
- Be familiar with key PGRFA policies such as CBD, IT-PGRFA, IPR, WTO-TRIPS and UPOV
For more information, please refer to the Website: http://www.wur.nl/en/Expertise-Services/Research-Institutes/centre-for-development-innovation/short-courses/Short-courses-2017/CDIcourse_PGR_2017.htm
For more information on Fellowships: http://www.wur.nl/en/Expertise-Services/Research-Institutes/centre-for-development-innovation/short-courses/scholarships.htm