Sonke Gender Justice
This intensive, interdisciplinary short course is being offered by Sonke Gender Justice, MenEngage Africa (MEA) and the Centre of Expertise in Women’s Health and Empowerment at the University of California Global Health Institute (UCGHI). Through case studies and exercises, participants will learn how to build women’s empowerment and gender norms transformation into health policy advocacy activities to maximise their effectiveness. A version of this course has been offered in the past in Nairobi, Kenya, and California, United States of America.
Sonke and MEA works across Africa to strengthen government, civil society and citizen capacity to promote gender equality, prevent domestic violence, and reduce the spread and impact of HIV/AIDS. The UCGHI’s mission is to train the next generation of global health leaders, and accelerate the discovery and implementation of transformative global health solutions.
The course is aimed at health and development non-governmental organisation staff, graduate students, junior faculty members, lawyers, gender activists, health professionals and officials from relevant government ministries and departments.
Upon completion of the course, participants will be able to:
- Describe various aspects of women’s health, masculinities and gender disparities in society;
- Explain and incorporate empowerment theories (including gender theory) into their work;
- Design, implement and evaluate policy advocacy strategies;
- Gain an understanding and technical knowledge on the relationship between gender, masculinities and women’s health issues; and
- Develop and present an advocacy campaign incorporating women’s health, masculinities and empowerment.
The course faculty will include prominent gender theorists and activists, programme development practitioners, social justice activists, policy experts and academics.
- An undergraduate degree;
- Fluency in English;
- Experience in health/gender programmes or policies.
Early bird deadline for application is 20 July 2016.
Final deadline for application is 10 August 2016.
For course application and details about course, contact Josephine Mukwendi, Tel: 021 423 7088, Mobile: 083 210 9387, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za/news-item/applications-mati-2016-now-open.
For more about Sonke Gender Justice, refer to www.genderjustice.org.za.