Planact and Inner City Resource Centre
Planact, in collaboration with the Inner City Resource Centre (ICRC), seeks to create a forum to promote demystification of the housing challenges in the inner city of Johannesburg, in particular, living conditions in bad buildings. Planact started implementing its programmes in the inner city in 2015 and entered into a partnership with ICRC, an organisation that has been involved in addressing inner city housing challenges since 2005. The two organisations therefore plan to create an enabling environment for sharing of ideas on possible interventions that might lead to improved housing conditions in the inner city.
A consultative meeting with relevant stakeholders, which include, the affected residents of the inner city, non-governmental organisations, government officials, researchers, private sector and donors, will be held on 16 September 2015.
The consultative meeting has three main objectives;
- To conduct a milestone evaluation of inclusivity in the inner city of Johannesburg;
- To enhance stakeholders understanding of the inner city housing challenges and facilitate cooperation amongst the diverse stakeholders in advocacy; and
- To document the outcome of the consultative meeting and use it as a basis for planning organisations’ projects in the inner city.
The focus of the consultative discussions will be mainly on four items;
- Residents of the inner city and their rights;
- Living conditions in the bad building, especially with regard to basic services (water cuts, electricity supply and poor sanitation);
- Environmental conditions; and
- Intervention approaches.
There will be presentations (10 minutes for each) by representatives of the affected residents, private building owners and non-governmental organisations. To enrich and direct the deliberations, the Socio-Economic Rights Institute will present a paper on the above aspects.
For further information about this invitation and to RSVP, contact Shumani Luruli, Tel: 011 403 6291, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more about Planact, refer to www.planact.org.za.
For more about the Inner City Resource Centre, refer to www.icrc.org.