Home page

900 killed in ethnic violence in DRC in mid-December

16 January 2019

At least 890 people are believed to have been killed in ethnic violence in northwestern Democratic Republic of Congo last month, the United Nations human rights office said on Wednesday.

The toll doubles an estimate provided on Monday by a local priest and a civil society activist who said that at least 400 people had been killed in bloodshed which led the government to cancel voting there in last month’s presidential election.

Shabaab claims Nairobi attack retaliation for Trump Jerusalem move

17 January 2019

The Al-Shabaab jihadist group said Wednesday it carried out the deadly attack on a Nairobi hotel and office complex in retaliation for US President Donald Trump's declaration of Jerusalem as Israel's capital, the SITE monitoring group said.

The group said in a statement picked up by SITE that its fighters stormed the DusitD2 complex on instructions by Al-Qaeda leader Ayman al-Zawahiri.

15 dead in Islamist attack on Kenya hotel complex

16 January 2019

Fifteen people have died in an Islamist attack on an upmarket hotel complex in Nairobi, Kenyan police sources said Wednesday, as fresh explosions and gunfire rang out in the siege which stretched into its second day.

Security forces worked throughout the night to secure the DusitD2 compound, which includes a 101-room hotel, spa, restaurant and office buildings, after an attack claimed by Al-Shabaab Islamists on Tuesday afternoon.

Brexit implications on trade, investment and tourism

16 January 2019

Amid continued uncertainties related to Brexit, Wesgro, the Western Cape's tourism, trade and investment promotion agency, is keeping a close watch on the implications for companies.

The UK is the province’s second largest export market and largest investor by number of projects, accounting for 25% of all foreign investment projects in recent years, as well as being the Western Cape’s largest tourism market.

Britain is South Africa's second largest trading partner in the EU, after Germany.
 

Little black book details Bosasa's bribe stash, bonuses

16 January 2019

Angelo Agrizzi, the former chief operations officer of controversial company Bosasa, says the company spent between R4m to R6m in bribes per month. 

The revelation was made before the commission of inquiry into state capture in Parktown, Johannesburg on Wednesday.

Agrizzi also told the commission that when people employed by Bosasa, and outsiders, asked for money, Bosasa CEO Gavin Watson, who used to spend time in his office, would leave and later come back with a bag of money.

Zimbabwe president says 'monumental task' to fix economy

17 January 2019
 

Zimbabwe President Emmerson Mnangagwa on Wednesday called for calm as he vowed to tackle the "monumental task" of fixing the shattered economy that has sparked violent protests this week.

"Resolving Zimbabwe's economic challenges is a monumental task... We are moving in the right direction. We will get there," he said on Twitter. "I call for calm and peace from all of our brothers and sisters."

Zimbabwe targets, beats activists amid unrest

17 January 2019

The US embassy in Zimbabwe says it is "alarmed" by credible reports that security forces are targeting and beating activists and labour leaders. A local doctors' rights group says it has treated 68 gunshot cases.

The US statement on Thursday also urges Zimbabwe's government to restore access to social media as the country faces its worst unrest since deadly post-election violence in August. Zimbabweans this week heeded a nationwide stay-at-home call after the government dramatically increased fuel prices in the economically shattered country.

Eskom to table turnaround strategy before Budget

17 January 2019

Government is pushing Eskom, the power utility with R419bn in debt, to present a credible turnaround strategy before the February 20 Budget presentation, a person familiar with the situation said.

While the state-owned company has asked the national energy regulator for permission to raise power prices by 15%a year for three years, that request would still leave the utility needing R100bn, the person said.

New board found 'horror show' at Transnet

17 January 2019

State-owned freight rail company Transnet has issued summons to former top executives it says are implicated in financial mismanagement with a view of recouping some of the squandered money.

Popo Molefe, chair of the Transnet board, said on Thursday morning at a media briefing that civil claims worth R1.3 bn had been served on individuals and companies. 

“One would not be exaggerating to say what we found there was a horror show,” he said referring to the extent of financial mismanagement uncovered by the new board, which was appointed in May 2018.

Pages

NGO Services

NGO Services

NGO Events

S M T W T F S
1
 
 
3
 
4
 
5
 
6
 
7
 
8
 
9
 
 
11
 
12
 
13
 
14
 
15
 
16
 
17
 
18
 
19
 
20
 
21
 
22
 
23
 
24
 
25
 
26
 
27
 
28
 
29
 
30
 
31
 
 
 
 
 
Subscribe to RSS - Home page