World Health Day: Focus on HIV/AIDS
HIV/AIDS is a major concern for developing countries worldwide. Lack of education, poor nutrition and inadequate health care, linked with extreme poverty, make people in the poorest countries most vulnerable to HIV/AIDS.
Like most developing countries, this disease is a major concern for South Africa because it is a deterrent for development. HIV/AIDS increases poverty and reverses human development. The Global Health Facts data indicate that 21.5% of South Africa’s 5,300,000 adults are living with HIV/AIDS. This high prevalence of HIV/AIDS in our most productive age group poses a major challenge for both government and civil society.
The HIV/AIDS pandemic is growing rapidly every year, resulting in NGOs working across a wide range of issues continuously having to contend with an ever-increasing number of people in need of their assistance.
HIV/AIDS development NGOs have been very influential in developing strategies to curtail the spread of HIV/AIDS and help people affected by the virus. These NGOs have had a tremendous impact on the lives of many South Africans. Development NGOs, in particular, have ensured that HIV/AIDS is an integral part of their programmatic focus, with the view that knowledge of HIV/AIDS is the first step towards prevention. Stopping the spread of HIV/AIDS is essential for sustainable development.
Common Programme Areas for HIV/AIDS NGOs
- Training and education
- Raising awareness about HIV/AIDS
- Prevention of HIV infection
- Treatment and care support programmes
- Empowerment of people affected by HIV/AIDS
- Support for AIDS orphans
HIV/AIDS Development NGOs
- Aids Consortium
- Aids Foundation of South Africa
- AIDS Law Project
- Care South Africa - Lesotho
- Centre for Aids Development, Research and Evaluation
- Centre for the Aids Programme of Research in South Africa
- Centre for HIV/Aids Networking
- Children in Distress Network
- HIV for South Africa
- Homes for Kids in South Africa
- National Association of People Living with HIV/AIDS - SA
- Nurturing orphans of AIDS for Humanity
- Soul City Institute for Health and Development Communication
- Treatment Action Campaign
- Tools Together Now: Participatory Tools to Facilitate Mobilising Communities for HIV/AIDS.
- Expanding Community Action on HIV/AIDS: NGO/CBO Strategies for Scaling Up.
- Missing the Target: A Report on HIV/AIDS Treatment Access from the Frontlines.
- Buckling: The Impact of AIDS in South Africa 2005.
- 700 000 People Living with HIV/AIDS in Developing Countries Now Receiving Treatment: Partnerships Across all Sectors are Driving Treatment Scale Up.
- AfroAIDSinfo project
- AIDS Education Global Information System
- Centre for the Study of AIDS
- Global Network of People Living with AIDS
- International HIV/AIDS Alliance
To contribute information to this development issue, please submit a query to email@example.com. We are particularly interested in information related to capacity building, case studies, debates, advocacy, research, resources and other relevant links.